At Salem College we recognize that, due to extenuating circumstances, FAFSA可能并不总是准确地反映你的财务状况和/或 dependency status. 美国.S. 教育部允许财政援助管理人员行使 Professional Judgment, and possibly give additional consideration, 对于那些遇到某些特定情况的学生和他们的家庭，如下所述.
Special Circumstances refer to the financial situations 证明援助管理员在其免费申请联邦学生援助(FAFSA)时调整就读成本或估计家庭贡献(EFC)计算中的数据元素是合理的.
Unusual Circumstances 请参考援助管理人员对学生进行调整的理由 dependency status based on a unique situation, more commonly referred to as a dependency.
Please note that if a student already has a 0 EFC, there is no need to request a “second look” of FAFSA data. 这是因为EFC为0的学生已经获得了最高金额的经济援助. 此外，目前没有研究生可获得的基于需求的经济援助. 靠谱电子游艺网站学院的研究生只有资格获得无补贴的联邦直接贷款. 因此, 专业判断请求不会使研究生受益于提供基于需求的资助资金.
Special Circumstances: Professional Judgment Request
基于特殊情况的专业判断可以在学生收到当前援助年度的初始奖励通知后要求. Before the special circumstances can be considered, 学院将通过联邦验证程序验证学生在当前FAFSA上提供的信息的准确性. Salem College utilizes Inceptia, Inc. (Verification Gateway) to complete verification. 靠谱电子游艺网站将手动选择学生进行验证，然后Inceptia将向学生当前FAFSA上列出的电子邮件地址发送“欢迎电子邮件”. 电子邮件将列出学生和家长都需要提交给Inceptia的必要文件，以完成联邦认证过程. 一旦验证过程完成，inception将通知学院. Upon their notification, 财政援助助理副总裁将审查专业判断请求.
After reviewing your special circumstance documentation, your financial aid package may remain the same, be increased, 或根据已提交的财务资料减少. 提交一份特殊情况申请并不能保证你的助学金会得到调整.
Decisions are final and will be communicated directly to the student. 欲了解更多信息，请联系财务援助办公室，看看是否可以考虑您的情况. If approved, 任何额外的资助只适用于特殊情况被批准的学年. Special circumstances must be reviewed annually. Please do not submit documents unless instructed by our office.
Examples of Special Circumstances Considered
- Death, divorce, or separation of parents or spouse
- Loss of benefits, such as unemployment, disability, social security, 退伍军人, child support, or alimony
Examples of Special Circumstances NOT Considered
- Parent refuses to provide financial support for higher education
- Parent refuses to complete or sign FAFSA
- Increase of standard living expenses
- Reduction of assets. Changes in assets will be reflected on the following year’s FAFSA.
- Credit issues, line of credit changes, previous student loan debt, etc.
- Siblings or parents who are also attending college. Siblings are already taken into account on the FAFSA. Students cannot list their parents in the number in college.
The Professional Judgment Application is available by request only. 如果你觉得你有一个特殊的情况，联系财政援助办公室进一步指导. 学院会尽快审核所有专业判断申请. Per federal regulations, Salem cannot process a Professional Judgment that was submitted after the student is no longer enrolled for the period of enrollment; or was submitted before the end of the period of enrollment, but processed by Salem after the end of the period of enrollment.
Unusual Circumstances: Professional Judgment Request
Unusual circumstances may be considered for a dependency override 在您提交FAFSA之后和收到当前援助年度的初始奖励通知之前. After reviewing your unusual circumstance documentation, your aid package may remain the same, be increased, or reduced according to the information that has been submitted. 依赖覆盖并不保证会对你的援助包进行调整.
Decisions are final and will be communicated directly to the student. Please do not submit documents unless instructed by our office.
Examples of Unusual Circumstances Considered
- Abusive/unsafe family environment
- Parental abandonment or incarceration
- Both parents became deceased after filing the FAFSA
- Parents cannot be located
- Parents are incapacitated
- Victims of human trafficking
- Refugee or asylee status
Examples of Unusual Circumstances NOT Considered
- Parents refusal to contribute to financing the student’s education
- Parents do not claim you as a dependent on their tax return
Submitting Your Request for the Consideration of Unusual Circumstances
如果你认为你有一个不寻常的情况，影响你的依赖状态, 请在提交FAFSA后尽快与财务援助办公室联系. 学院将尽快审查所有依赖覆盖请求. Per federal regulations, Salem cannot process a dependency override that was submitted after the student is no longer enrolled for the period of enrollment; or was submitted before the end of the period of enrollment, but processed by the Salem after the end of the period of enrollment.